Ohhhh what a week I had last week. I had a last-minute interview notice for a new job (36 hours to create a presentation, practice it, and prep for the interview questions) Monday to Wednesday. I’m also part of a community choir and our performance was Saturday, so we had two extra practices plus the performance. I crashed on Sunday … but not before getting out my woefully late blog post. 😉
This week is different. Monday night was Guild night. It’s so nice to be able to take a break once a month to bond with people who share your interests! Tuesday and Wednesday are work-from-home days due to the terrible snowstorm. They’re calling for 25-30cm!! That’s 10-12 inches for our Imperial system visitors. Absolutely crazy – spring can’t come soon enough! I must say though – being able to quit work at my normal time and be sewing within a minute is a pleasant experience. 🙂
Probably to no one’s surprise, I caved to my tiger-face baby quilt project. I couldn’t help myself … I just had to see it in reality!!
I’m using the pink fabric as my pilot quilt because I can just go get more of it if I screw up too badly. Replacing the rest of it would be a combination of waiting for a shipment to flat-out not being able to find any. During my initial measurements, I realized to my horror that I was going to be three squares short of the purple diamonds. It must have been a popular print because I was having trouble finding any on this side of the border. I put out a call on Facebook to see if anyone would sell me enough to finish my quilt. An absolute saint of a quilter in Ottawa sent me exactly what I needed – absolutely free of charge. Angels must exist!
I started with the planning phase. I got inspired at one of the guild meetings this fall with disappearing blocks and I thought a disappearing nine-patch would show off that tiger face perfectly. Since the rest of the nine-patch becomes a border to the corner or main squares (the tiger squares), I decided to use the diamond fabric as “sashing” squares and the lotus flowers as the “corner stone” square. I would have to rotate the tiger faces so the would all point the same direction after cutting the block, but that’s not a problem. I intend to add an outer row of sashes and corner stones to close in the design of the quilt at the end.
First issue – them diamonds. The diamond fabric is a directional fabric, so it only flows left-to-right or up-and-down. Sewing the nine-patch then cutting it makes the diamonds look wonky. I did it once to see if there was a chance it would work anyways, but no dice. It is no longer a true disappearing nine-patch – I’m cutting and piecing the face blocks individually.
Next issue – I didn’t like it!! The pretty pink diamond clashed too much with the focus tiger face fabric. And that’s when I noticed the turquoise lotus flower fabric was really pulling the design together … so I swapped them. The sashing is now the lotus flower and the corner stone is the diamonds. I think it looks much nicer this way. Second opinion (husband) agreed with me. He’s not the sort of fellow to tell me something looks nice just for the sake of my feelings (he still has a very strong opinion on the eagle-iness of my last quilt and it’s not a positive one), so I know it’s definitely the right choice.
I also learned a bit about my piecing issues. I’m not the most precise piecer, but I’m working on it and I’m learning from the mistakes I create. That will have to be it’s own blog post at some point.
The final product. I have to make five more blocks, then the sashing-corner stone strip before the quilt top is done, but the design is solidly visible, so I’m content to put it in the UFO (UnFinished Objects) bin for now. Besides – once I have all three colors finished, I might be tempted to make myself a full-size quilt top instead. Wouldn’t that just be a shame … 😉