We are having a little family crisis, so I’ve been home a grand total of 10 hours this week. No quilting got done, but the ironing board got a face lift!
I feel like this quilting blog is turning into a home making blog …
What I didn’t realize when I made the changes to the bins and ironing table setup is that the iron rest was facing the wall. I didn’t think about it because I wouldn’t have enough space to extend it, so I just ignored it.
Fun fact: When you iron, the board moves up and down just a smidge and the feet shimmy across the floor, typically in a reverse motion into the wall …
I was getting massive streaks on the wall where the metal was transferring onto the wall. Since the wall isn’t primed or painted (just drywall mud), it picks up marks super easily. The result was lovely iron-grey streaks all over the wall.
I picked up a roll of window heat-proofing foam a while ago to use in my bags. I couldn’t find any foam stabilizer at Fabricland (although I now suspect that I can get some at The Sewing Machine because they offer baggineering classes – yes that’s a thing!!) and wanted something padded for making camera lens cases that never got made. I’m going to need them again this year, so that might show up on the blog. Ohhhh and I’m going to need a new purse … hmmm … I’m adding that to my list. Therapeutic, this blogging thing!
I cut a smidge off the roll and attached it to the iron holder. I used cotton string to help adhere it to the rail underneath and a couple of straight pins to lock it into the fabric cover on top. I don’t want anything too permanent as I’ll probably have to wash it down the road. Or replace it – evidently, Neiko has been happy-kneading the ironing board when he sits up there in the sunshine. For those of you who do not have cats, they knead things with their claws when they’re happy. It’s both cute and SUPER annoying. 😛
I’m glad I didn’t make it too secure because I’m evidently not done with this. First thing I did after setting this up is accidentally run over it with the hot iron. I knew this was going to happen, but thought I’d just be extra careful. I should have known … melted plastic smeared all over the bottom of the iron. I didn’t even notice until it transferred on to the cloth of my project – double joy! 😛 I have a scrap bit of grubby fabric spread over it right now (the fabric hung out in my pocket for the better part of two months during colour matching sprees, so it got somewhat irreparably sullied).
I did manage to make one thing before heading out to the family homestead, but that will get its own blog post next week as I was my clumsy self and botched it a bit. At least the snow is coming down! I swear we’ve lost 2 feet of snow in the last 3 weeks and a foot of that disappeared in the last 4 days. Spring is FINALLY coming!! 😀