Before talking about the next project, I need to close the book on the baby quilt from the last post. The quilt was very thankfully received. Evidently, the baby’s older sister has taken a fancy to the quilt. The mother foresees issues convincing her that the quilt belongs to her little sister, but that’s a future problem! 🙂
2020 Quilt 2: The pansy lap quilt. I was so excited that I forgot to take a picture of the fabric before I cut it up! Oh well. 😛 The pansy fabric was bout 0.5 of a meter. The fat quarters were … well, a quarter of a meter. 😀 When all the fabric was cut up, I had cut all the pansy fabric, all the yellow and green fabric, and half the purple fabric. I used my new Creative Grids Stripology ruler to cut the fabrics into 3.5″ strips and sub-cut the strips into squares. It only took me maybe 15 minutes to cut all the fabric! It would normally take me most of the evening to cut out all the fabric for the quilt. Some tools are totally worth buying, even if they are a bit costly. The most cool thing about the cutting was that I used up literally all the fabric (except the purple) AND I had exactly the right amount of fabric for each pile without re-cutting! I know that’s super lame to get excited about, but I was dancing around the room! I even rushed downstairs to tell my husband about my super awesome lame cool happenstance. He was understandable unappreciative. For some reason, I still love that man. 😛
My goal was to make a nine-patch quilt. I originally planned to make a disappearing nine-patch, but after I had everything cut up, I wasn’t sure. Since the first step to making a disappearing nine-patch is to first make an nine-patch, I finished up all the squares (all 18 of them) and tossed them on my display wall. While I really liked the look, I thought that it would be more interesting if I cut them up – so I did!
The biggest thing with making a disappearing nine-patch is how to rotate the blocks to make them into a seamless repeating pattern. After playing on the wall for an afternoon, I decided to go with a very standard pattern where you switch blocks 1 and 4 to make the biggest blocks and the smallest blocks “kiss” in the middle.
After sub-cutting the blocks to 4.5″ to make sure they were all even, I started stitching them together. Instead of running rows like I usually do, I strip-sewed them back into 9″ blocks, then strip-sewed the blocks into rows. It went fairly quickly this way and it made sure that I didn’t sew any of the blocks the wrong way around. The quilt was 8×9 small blocks, so the last row was simply a strip along the bottom. It took about two days to put it together. I think it looks very bright and happy!
The finished quilt is currently 34″x39″ inches. I was planning on using a dark green stash fabric for the back and what was left of the purple combined with a white fabric for the binding, but Fabricland is having a sale starting today. All their quilting fabric is 50% off. I have to go in to pick up the background fabric for the quilt I’m talking about next week, so I’m planning of matching the purple and getting enough to put a border around the quilt. It will increase the size a bit and I’d like it to be a little longer. Once I have everything together, I’ll post an update!
And just in case you’re curious – the cupboard in the picture isn’t supposed to be there. It’s the towel cupboard. I moved it in here while husband sands the drywall mud in the bathroom. I’d rather not have dry wall dust in my towels when I wash up each morning. 😛 There isn’t a lot of space in the house right now, so the cupboard will live here temporarily (I hope! :P)