Piecing · Quilt Designs · UFO

The UFO Club

I’ve joined the Crazy Quilter’s UFO club this year. I’m not planning on taking any classes this year (OK fine I’ve already lied … I think I’m signed up for ONE class, but no more!!), so I figured I could sign up for the UFO club in that absence. Plus, I have a few UFOs that I want to get finished this year if possible. There’s there 3 BOTM classes from last year that I haven’t finished, 2 cut quilt tops that need to be assembled, a baby quilt, the Tiger quilt should really get finished up … and that isn’t including the growing stack of quilts that I have in my drawer that need to be quilted once I get a different sewing desk. I know there are a couple of others that I should get to (like my coral orange slices quilt), but my main focus will be the ones I listed here. First up – the Christmas Fig BOTM quilt!

I know I said that I got a lot more of this quilt done than I thought I did, but I also had a lot more left over than I thought. There are 6 blocks remaining before I can start to assemble it. One block I’ve already done – the Tree of Life – but I kept it as a wall hanging. I will have to re-make it for the quilt. I decided to do what I had done this summer with great success. I cut up the remaining block requirements, tucked them into individual bags, and put them in the corresponding pages of the book. Then I’ll be able to pull one out a day, get it done, and move on to the next. I think my first goal will just be to get all the blocks done and no more. If I have more time than expected, I’ll try to get the quilt top assembled as well! I still need a backing fabric for it … one thing at a time.

It was at this point that I realized that I had my list wrong. The most important goal this month is not the Christmas Fig quilt. It’s the baby quilt!!! You know … the baby that was born in NOVEMBER. I think it’s fine to give a baby quilt a little late, but more than a month starts getting … awkward. So we are switching gears. My first UFO club goal is the baby quilt! I sent my goal of getting the top finished off to CQ and started looking at what needed to be done. Since club due date is January 24th, I didn’t think that I would get the quilt 100% done in 2-ish weeks, so I just committed to the top. Please excuse the orange-y light – my sewing room is not well lit over by the pressing/cutting station and I’m using a yellow-light bulb in the pictures.

UFO 1, ready to go!

As you already know from my last post, I jumped right in and got started on the blocks! This quilt is going to be a little different than anything I’ve done so far, but it will be most similar to the Mile High Eagle quilt. I’ve taken a printed panel, cut it up into strips, and the goal is to make pieced block rows to sew between the strips. Hopefully it works out nicely. And if it’s a bit ugly … my friend had a boy, her second boy. I’m betting on the quilt getting use up and worn out, so it won’t matter if it’s a little bit ugly. 😉 I hope it won’t be, though. I got unreasonably excited about the colours I chose. Now it’s time to see if they will work out!

Panel rows + pieced rows

Turns out that I’m super motivated by due dates. No surprise there. I actually managed to get the quilt top almost completed in the first two weekends! 4 rows completed in Week 1, the last two more complicated rows completed Week 2. Look at that diamond block in the arrow (flying geese) row. Doesn’t that just pull the row together? I’m glad I re-did it, despite the headache it was causing.

Week 1 rows

This is when having a design wall really showed its value. I could put up all the rows on the wall and move them around to get the best layout of the pattern. First off, I decided to get rid of the pale blue panel strip. It just wasn’t adding anything to the quilt and it would be plenty long with just the pretty strips. The other advantage was that I could seen that I was roughly 1 block too long for most of the pieced rows. A few of them have different block sizes, so I’ll need to cut the row mid-block, but that’s fine. Getting the layout is very helpful at this stage!

Once I had the layout, I clipped all the rows together to start the final top piecing. My goal for Monday (pending a catastrophic event) is to get the top pieced and trimmed!! If I have time to baste, I’ll start quilting by the weekend. With any luck, I’ll actually have it quilted and bound by Sunday! It’s nice to be ahead of the curve 🙂

Clipped for sewing!

~M

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s